< Go Back

ismybillfair

“There’s often no valid reason why some people get charged more for broadband, or TV packages or phone use than others.”
- Mark Dorman, Yahoo Finance UK.

In 60 seconds, ismybillfair is able to find out whether consumer's bills are too high, and give them a chance to ask for a fairer deal for staying with their current provider or they'll help you switch. While working at Studio Republic, I was part of the team that was conducting the UX testing before the website went live to the public. This involved indepth usability testing, by trialing the website with real users, to see how easy the final outcome is to use.

Company

ismybillfair

While at Studio Republic

Timescale

October 2017

Skills Required

Research
UX Testing


Test Objectives

The two journeys for the Is My Bill Fair Usability testing was the Sim Only journey and the Broadband, Home Phone and TV. The main goal of the usability test was to assess the usability of the current build of the website and to identify any language issues. The test also aimed to assess user comprehension of the current design.

Finding the Questions

Before testing the website for real users, we needed to know what we would be testing. When testing the ismybillfair website, we were testing the prototype that had been developed by the in-house development team at Studio Republic. The Senior UX Designer and I, walked through the prototype, looking at the processes users may take during the testing, pulling out certain questions we needed the testing to answer. These included whether a user knew how to interact with a button, or knew how to navigate the website.

This analysis was conducted using print-out versions of the prototype while interacting with the digital version. Sticky notes were used to pull out questions, obvious issues (for example spelling mistakes) and further actions we needed to take before conducting the testing.

Analysis of the prototype.

Analysis of the prototype.

Analysis of the prototype.

Analysis of the prototype.

Analysis of the prototype.

Analysis of the prototype.

Our Observations

We then took our observations and the questions and compiled them into a formatt that could be used for the testing. For each journey we split them down into the stages/screens the user would interact with. For each of these stages/screens we organised the corresponding interactions we needed to observe during the testing. For example, when the users reaches the "Do you pay for a Talkplan?", screen, we needed to observe whether the user was able to discover the contextual help to the side of the interface.

Compiling our observations and questions

Compiling our observations and questions

Finding the indivdual stages/screens

Finding the indivdual stages/screens


Usability Testing

Remote User Testing

For the testing, we used WhatUsersDo, a remote user testing platform. WhatUsersDo gave us access to real people, from a variety of backgrounds, who completed the tasks we set for them. The users completed the tasks we set, and a video recording, including the user's spoken out loud thoughts and feelings, was sent to us. The video recording gave us the opportunity to observe the user's behaviour, and analyse the usability of the website using the questions we extracted from the prototype.

Not sure what 'Remote User Testing' is? Check out this article from User Zoom below:

Context and Scenario

As much as possible, we wanted to try to recreate the scenario in which our users were most likely to be using the website. The website is for everyday people to check their bills and get a fairer price, therefore we assumed users would most likey be using the website in their homes, either on their phones or laptops. By trying to recreate the scenario as best as we could, we hoped to learn more about the interaction between the user, the prototype and the environment in which they are in.

The Participants

For the remote user testing we were looking for 10 users to be recruited. The participants needed to be from the United Kingdom due to ismybillfair at the time was only for British providers.

The website's purpose was for checking the fairness of user's bills, including boiler, pumbling and energy cover. Therefore we were looking for users between the age of 21 and 45 who are more likely to be homeowners and looking to reduce utility costs.

We also required the user to have a 'Sim Only Contract', due to this being one of the journeys being tested. If the user's we not on a sim only contract, they would have no need for ismybillfair's service and hence would not be user's that needed testing.

Our target audience.

Our target audience.


The Findings

The findings from the testing were incredibly useful. Some of our users experienced difficulties during the test, for example there was text that was not being displayed when the user had wide browser size. This suggested there were issues with the responsiveness of the website. We shared our findings with the design and development team who revisited their prototype. The testing also identified previously unconsidered problems with the prototype, that had not been considered during our UX testing session.

After further iterations of design and development, we ran further UX testing until the number of users experiencing difficulties had been greatly reduced.

ismybillfair is now live so check it out below:

The live site.

The live site.